Monday, October 11, 2010

Acts: the beginning of the Church


Wow, am I ever learning new things in the Bible. First of all, my neighbour asked me a few Q's which got me to thinking about the setup of the Bible. Specifically, she said that the book of Acts is just history, Right? It is history, bur somewhere, the dividing line came when the church began. So, where did it begin and what were the big changes or differences from the old way. I think all churches of Jesus Christ, would believe that the Big change came after Jesus died and rose and went to heaven. Then He said to wait for the Promise. So they waited and poof...the Baptism of the Spirit came mightily and new churches were born...small groups...the new believers were filled with all this power to speak with boldness, and certain ones went out and started new groups of believers in heathen countries. All these new believers were filled with the Holy Spirit, speaking in tongues, and all were Baptized in water in Jesus name, as Peter commanded them to do...in fulfillment of Matthew 28...the name. So, here my neighbour asked me.."So you are saying that I can't find the full pattern of salvation in the epistles and must look to the book of Acts". I said"YES". That was the start of the church. The epistles were written to the already started churches. THAT was also what excited me. When I examined Acts, I found all the names of the epistle churches. ALL, and not only once. When you read each epistle...Romans , Corinthians, Ephesians, etc., you will see at their start, that they are written..to the church that is in.. to the saints...to my beloved brethren in Christ Jesus...to my son in the faith ! ALL were written to the EXISTING churches. All were already Repented, Baptized in water in Jesus name and filled with the Holy Spirit speaking in tongues. Many epistles repeat things about those 3 steps, but don't we all repeat things to our children? And don't we all repeat things in our churches? We are like sheep...we need continual reminders of things...BUT...when we don't put the horse in front of the cart, so to speak, we get churches that don't tell us the whole truth. We get imbalanced churches. Jesus never wanted imbalanced churches. He gave us the Bible so we could know the truth and be set free. Take another look at the Book of Acts! Pray ! Ask the Lord if what I am saying to you is the truth or whether I am a liar. Ask Him with an open heart to hear His voice and to learn. May the Lord bless you and keep you on this journey.

No comments: